This site is maintained for the 300 members of the Florida Division of the Society of American Foresters. You can use the menu (the bars near the top right on the mobile version) to access information about the structure and activities of the Florida Division.
Since 1900, the Society of American Foresters has provided access to information and networking opportunities to prepare members for the challenges and the changes that face natural resource professionals.
SAF Core Values are:
- Forests are a fundamental source of global health and human welfare
- Forests must be sustained through simultaneously meeting environmental, economic, and community aspirations and needs
- Foresters are dedicated to sound forest management and conservation
- Foresters serve landowners and society by providing sound knowledge and professional management skills
For more information, visit the Society of American Foresters national website.
SESAF Leadership Academy
The Southeastern Society of American Foresters is inviting forest resource managers and students from Alabama, Florida and Georgia to participate in the Leadership Academy. The program will provide participants the opportunity to learn about practical leadership principles, communication techniques, and member engagement.
Topics to be covered include:
- Building successful partnerships & collaborations
- Appreciating and leveraging our differences to build a stronger profession
- Communications styles & effectiveness
- Running a business meeting – Robert’s Rules of Order, or not … & other mysteries
- SAF & leadership – the history & foundations of SAF
- Keys to successful Chapters & State Divisions
- Reaching out to prospective members – appealing to young professionals
- Hosting fun & interesting meetings; providing CEUs
Dates: July 26 – 28, 2017
Location: Withlacoochee Training Center, Brooksville, FL
CFE Credits: Participants can earn 6.0 hours Category 1-CF and 3.0 hours Category 2-CF credits.
Cost: The registration fee for SAF members is $140/person ($175 after July 5th) and $50 for students ($60 after July 5th). This fee includes lodging, two breakfasts, one lunch, two dinners, breaks, and all materials. Non-member professionals may register at the rate of $215 ($250 after July 5th) and apply the difference towards SAF membership if desired.
Registration: Links to registration and additional information can be found at the SESAF website.
Forest Herbicide Workshop
The Southeastern SAF announces the “Tri-State Forest Herbicide Workshop” August 9, 2017 at the North Florida Research and Education Center in Quincy, FL, just west of Tallahassee. Registration is limited to 100 attendees and advance registration is encouraged through Eventbrite at this link.
This one day workshop is appropriate for managers of forest land and natural areas and will provide 5 forestry CFEs and state pesticide license CEUs (5) applied for in AL, FL, GA. Speakers include: Dr. David Dickens, UGA, Dr. Nancy Loewenstein, AU, Dr. Stephen Enloe and Dr. Pat Minogue, UF, and representatives from industry. Topics include:
- Advanced herbicide site preparation for pine management
- Post-plant herbaceous weed control in longleaf plantings
- Long-term growth response and economics to mid-rotation competition control and fertilization in pine plantations
- Identification and control of invasive plants of forests and natural areas
- How herbicides work – what tank mixes make sense?
- The six “T’s” – technical aspects of individual stem treatment
- Herbicide toxicity and environmental considerations – apply herbicides safely
- Update from industry